Are you looking to get new patio doors installed in your home? Well, we are going to tell you 3 of the top things you should consider when choosing the perfect patio door for your home!
First, here are 3 quick tips you should know about patio doors and how to find the right one for you.
- Speak with an expert. The specialists are the ones who help homeowners with patio door projects every single day, so who would be better to help you decide what’s best in your home? If you’re within our service areas give us a call and we can help you with everything you need to know!
- Explore other patio door inspirations. Having a look at what’s popular in your neighbourhood can help inspire your decision. Anyone who’s been through a patio door installation process will have a ton of advice — even if you’ve never met them.
- Ask your friends and family’s advice. Everyone’s home is different, but those close to you may have similar taste, or at least understand your taste and be able to make recommendations accordingly.
Keep these tips in mind as you go through this list to try and help keep you from getting overwhelmed when thinking about the coming process!
Patio doors can open in one of three ways, so you need to decide which one you prefer before you can start exploring your options.
- Sliding patio doors glide on a track within the frame, creating an opening as wide as the glass panel. Multi-slide patio doors have the same function, just more panels.
- Swinging patio doors operate on a hinge like a regular door. But you get to choose which way they swing — inward into your home or outward onto the patio.
- Folding patio doors have both hinges and tracks. Glass panels fold on the hinge and then glide along a track to stack up at the sides of the opening.
You may instantly have a preference for the functionality that you prefer, but you need to make sure that you consider the next pointer before settling on a decision, as the space you have available may affect your choice.
Before you start shopping for patio doors, you need to make sure you have accurate measurements. This will help you to narrow down your options immediately as you’ll get an idea of what styles your home will be able to facilitate. If you’re choosing to create a bigger opening or install a door in a place where there wasn’t one before, make sure to measure the wall space to get your ideal size correct the first time around.
You should also measure the space directly in front of where the door will be so that you can ensure the functionality of the doors won’t be disrupted. Use tape to map out walkways and the room you’ll need for the door to operate. Do this both inside and outside of your home where the door will be placed.
Materials – Wood, Fiberglass or Vinyl
Patio doors are like big, functional windows. So it should not come as a surprise that they’re most commonly made of the same three materials, wood, fiberglass, and vinyl.
- Wood patio doors benefit from the natural properties of wood for excellent insulation, exceptional energy efficiency, and beautiful textures.
- Fiberglass patio doors are stronger and more durable, giving them long-lasting performance but with a wood-like finish.
- Vinyl patio doors are very affordable and combine easy cleaning and maintenance and energy efficiency in a strong, durable option.
You have the best variety of options when you choose a wood patio door as vinyl and fiberglass patio doors are only available as sliding glass doors.
Fully understanding and taking these things into consideration when choosing your patio doors can sometimes feel overwhelming. So, if you are thinking about installing new doors and want an expert opinion, we can help!
Give us a call or click HERE to receive your free quote from Euro Choice Windows & Door.